Sophia Goh, Principal Counsellor
Pronouns: she / her
Hi, my name is Sophia. I am a professional counsellor and psychotherapist based in Singapore.
My mission is to help individuals like you lead successful, fulfilling and well-meaning lives – no matter where you are starting from. I work closely with teenagers and adults to help them overcome life challenges and flourish as individuals.
The philosophy of my practice is based on positive psychology, which is the scientific study of happiness and flourishing. Positive psychology focuses on helping individuals lead fulfilling lives that are important to them, and to cultivate what is best within themselves.
I believe in a wellness approach towards mental health. Instead of paying attention to our mental health only when issues arise, I believe that our mental health is an important aspect of functioning that anyone can strive to improve on. Just like going to the gym to improve one’s physical strength, counselling and psychotherapy works on improving the state of one’s mind.
As a professional psychotherapist in Singapore, I practice what I preach. I continuously seek out ways to lead a more fulfilling and well-meaning life myself. This means painstakingly building in positive habits that I would work on with you in our counselling sessions as well. I read widely on the latest evidence-based and effective practices that would help you become happier, more productive, successful and fulfilled.
” My goal is to help you create the space to make the changes in your life “
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Arts in Counselling and Guidance, National Institute of Education, Singapore
- Bachelor of Business Management (Finance and Strategic Management), Singapore Management University
- Certified Dialectical Behavior Therapy (CDBT) Professional Training, from Dr Lane Pederson
- Assessment and Intervention with Suicidal Clients, from Dr John Sommers-Flanagan
- Level 1 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Psychological First Aid, from Singapore Emergency Responder Academy
- Career Development Facilitator, The National Career Development Association
- Certified Holistic Nutritionist, American Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA)
- Mindfulness for Well-being and Peak Performance, Monash University, Australia
- Diabetes – A Global Challenge course, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Nutrition for Health Promotion and Disease course, University of California, San Francisco
- Continuous learning via conferences, seminars, e-courses, reading books, and listening to podcasts
- Counselling work in local Primary and Secondary schools (working with children and adolescents on anger management issues, school refusal, study motivation, and delinquency behaviors)
- Counselling work with children using Art and Play therapy
- Counselling work in a tertiary setting (working with young adults on relationship issues, career exploration, academic stress and stress management)
- Group counselling work facilitating personal development, anger management groups, social skills, and coping with life transitions
- Volunteer as a listener on 7 Cups, an online therapy and free counselling platform for individuals experiencing emotional distress
- Member, The National Career Development Association
- Member, Young Women’s Leadership Connection