Pearlyn Yap, Practicum Counsellor
Pronouns: she / her
Hi! I’m Pearlyn. I am a Counsellor in-training and a Practitioner in Equine-Assisted Intervention (EAI).
My passion is in empowering my clients to find competence and value, and to support them in healing from distress, fear and pain.
I have over 5 years of dedicated EAI experience supporting children, adolescents and youth in enhancing social-emotional competencies, and am familiar journeying alongside persons with neurodiverse conditions (i.e. ASD, ADHD, intellectual disabilities) and who identify as LGBTQI+. I have special interests in ending the stigma associated with men seeking mental health support, and in working with parents/caregivers to enhance well-being.
Sessions with me are collaborative in nature – I take a humanistic, solution-focused and trauma-informed approach that may include mindfulness practices, and strive to create a safe space for my clients to talk about who they really are and to feel accepted and respected.
Areas of focus
Stress and burnout
More About Me
I have a special needs cat called Tobi; he is paralysed waist-down due to a trauma. Despite his disability, he scoots around faster than I could ever run, and enjoys playing at any time of the day!
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Counselling, Flinders University, Australia (Graduating in 2024)
- Graduate Certificate in Counselling, Swinburne University of Technology (Australia)
- Bachelor of Arts, National University of Singapore
- Certified Clinical Trauma Specialist Individual (CCTSI), Trauma Institute International
- Certified Equine-Assisted Intervention Practitioner, Equine Experiential Education Association (E3A, USA)
- Diploma in Equine Psychology, Centre of Excellence
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Professional Training, by Dr Joel Yang (Social Service Institute)
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), by Adj. A/Prof Angie Chew (Brahm Centre)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), by Adj. A/Prof Angie Chew (Brahm Centre)
- Engaging Reluctant Adolescents Using Motivational Interviewing/Approaches, Social Service Institute
- Understanding Children with Special Needs, Social Service Institute
- APCATS Modular Training in Geriatric Psychiatry: Understanding & Screening for Depression and Dementia, Institute of Mental Health
- Understanding Dementia – A Counselling Support Perspective, Executive Counselling and Training Academy
- Certified Advanced Psychological First Aid, and Training of Trainers, Singapore Red Cross
- Certified Practitioner in Equine-Assisted Intervention (EAI) with over 5 years of hands-on experience designing and conducting programmes and workshops for vulnerable children, adolescents, youth, caregivers, adults and seniors (i.e. behavioural challenges, special needs and/or mental health conditions).
- Group work facilitating the development of life skills, such as self-awareness, emotional regulation, stress management, relationship-building, and self-care.
- Volunteer befriender to provide vulnerable seniors with social and emotional support.