Claire Leong, Counsellor
Pronouns: she / her
Hello! My name is Claire and I am a counsellor from Singapore.
I believe that wellness goes beyond the absence of illness; it is about thriving in different aspects of life.
It is my mission to journey with clients to have a deeper understanding of themselves so that they may learn to tap on or build new strengths to achieve their life goals. Equipped with first-hand experiences of psychiatric treatment and its challenges in Singapore, I have developed a passion for helping others to overcome life’s many challenges to live life to the fullest. While everyone’s journey is unique and will differ from my own in some way, my personal and professional experiences have allowed me to relate to my clients more closely and develop stronger bonds.
My experience ranges across a variety of clients, from intellectually disadvantaged children to elderly with depression and dementia, but my expertise and area of focus lies in working with children, youth, and family systems.
More About Me
At one point in my life, I owned 32 hamsters, two rabbits, a dog, and a lobster. I also spent several years working with 18 lovely horses. Yes, I love animals! Other interests of mine include expressive writing, theatre, playing the guitar, and being really bad at videogames.
My life goal is to help erase the stigma on mental illness.
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Arts in Counselling, Monash University, Australia
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (minor in Organisational Behaviour), Murdoch University, Australia
- Diploma in Counselling, Kaplan Higher Education Academy, Singapore
- General Psychiatric Management for BPD, Harvard Medical School, USA
- Introduction to Family Therapy, Social Service Institute, Singapore
- Adapting Programmes for Persons with Disabilities, Social Service Institute, Singapore
- Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health First Aid Singapore, Singapore
- Tools and Skills for Supporting Youth with Mental Health Distress, Social Service Institute, Singapore
- Family and Adult Support Tool (FAST) – User, Social Service Institute, Singapore
- Forum Theatre Performance Facilitation (Joking), Mixed Company Theatre, Canada
- Equine Experiential Education (E3A) Certified Practitioner, E3A, USA
- Continuous learning via conferences, e-courses, and reading books
- Counselling persons with mental health issues and their family members
- Programme development and group facilitation for at-risk youth (working with children and adolescents with issues such as emotion regulation, school refusal, bullying, motivation, self-esteem, risk-taking behaviour, and socioemotional functioning)
- Equine-assisted learning for at-risk youth, special needs, families, and elderly with depression and/or dementia
- Development of a forum theatre programme for at-risk youth
- Trainer and support group facilitator for families of persons with mental health issues
- Volunteer as a listener on 7 Cups, an online therapy and free counselling platform for individuals experiencing emotional distress
- Associate Member, Singapore Association of Counsellors