Seah Lay Kian, Senior Counsellor
Pronouns: she / her
Hi, my name is Lay Kian.
I have more than 10 years of experience in working with children and adolescents. My journey into counselling did not happen by chance as I made a career switch in 2011 after being exposed to financial counselling in my first job in a Statutory Board. During the time in my first career, I found it exceptionally meaningful listening to the stories of others and helping them make sound decisions to improve their lives. It was also a very heartening experience for me as I got to witness how different individuals took the effort to restart their lives, wanting to make things better for the people they love.
Being a certified Choice Theory and Reality Therapist, I am privileged to walk alongside many who have made the choice to take the path towards healing. Not all problems have a solution, but I believe that you do not have to be alone while embarking on this journey of change.
My approach during my sessions is mainly strength-based, with a focus on exploring the motivations and innate needs that lies behind certain actions or inactions. I also use experiential modalities such as Gestalt techniques and chairwork to address deeper issues such as trauma and self-esteem. As an integrative practitioner, I also integrate play, art, mindfulness and hypnosis elements into the sessions, depending on the individual needs of the client. You are free to co-create how each session looks like as it is a journey of healing and exploration for both you and me. Fear not, as I will be here with you on every step of the way.
Children (7 and up)
Areas of focus
Anxiety & phobias
Trauma / PTSD
Grief & Loss
Low self-esteem and more
More About Me
I am a cat mummy to 6 rescues and I manage their IG account, hoping that they can be pet-fluencers and start earning some of their cat food and treats. I am a Jane of all trades, having a little knowledge and skills in a variety of hobbies and interests such as painting, gardening, star-gazing, tarot reading, crocheting etc. I don’t like exercising though.
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Counselling, Singapore University of Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronics), Nanyang Technological University
- Choice Theory/ Reality Therapy Certification, William Glasser International
- Advanced Certificate in Training & Assessment (Facilitated Learning), Institute for Adult Learning
- Certified User of Youth Level of Service/ Case Management Inventory (YLS/CMI) 2.0, National Council of Social Services
- Gestalt Play Therapy (Basic & Intermediate), West Coast Institute of Gestalt Play Therapy
- Suicide Intervention Skills Workshop, Samaritans of Singapore
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy Training, KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Clinical Hypnosis Skills for Health Professionals (Level 1), Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- Transformational Chairwork & the Four Dialogues: A Three-part Online Training, The Transformational Chairwork Psychotherapy Project
- Counselling and case management work in local Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education institutes (working with children, adolescents and young adults on various mood, behaviour, social and career issues)
- Group counselling work facilitating family changes, emotion regulation skills, motivation using Choice Theory, managing stress and parenting
- Poster presentation to MOE school counsellors on developing programmes using Choice Theory
- Conducting mental health and counselling related topics to teachers and parents
- Case conferences and professional networking with other professionals
- Clinical Member and Registered Counsellor, Singapore Association for Counselling (C0391)
- Life member, Cat Welfare Society