Kathleen Chong, Counsellor
Pronouns: she / her
Hi, my name is Kathleen.
I am an advocate for self-love and mental health. Growing up, I feel that we have mostly only been taught to take care of our physical health – eating well and exercising regularly are mantras that we often hear. However, I believe that caring for our mental health is equally as important, and should be emphasized as much as for our physical health.
Given my diverse career background of working in academia to being in a vibrant startup, I understand how living in the fast-paced life of modern society can be stressful and overwhelming. Sometimes, it may even lead us to lose track of who we are and our direction in life. With that, I am passionate about helping individuals gain insight into their psychological and physical wellbeing. I strive towards understanding the individual’s experiences and life journey, and then working with them on a one-on-one basis to help them achieve their goals and reach their fullest potential.
My expertise is in working with individuals who are struggling with life transitions, grief, anxiety, relationships, body image and self-esteem issues. My counselling approach is largely integrative, drawing on evidence-based therapeutic modalities such as Glasser’s Choice Theory and Mindfulness.
Most importantly, I believe in providing a safe and non-judgmental environment for one to be heard.
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Arts in Counselling and Guidance, National Institute of Education, Singapore
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Psychology, Help University College, Malaysia
- Grief and Loss in Families Series – A Systemic & Meaning Reconstruction Perspective, Portland Institute for Loss and Transition
- Counselling work in a local Secondary school for clients with a range of conditions such as depression and anxiety
- Counselling work in a tertiary setting
- Group counselling work