James Tong, Practicum Counsellor
Pronouns: he / him
Hi, my name is James and I am a Practicum Counsellor at Sofia Wellness Clinic.
I believe that taking care of our psychological health goes beyond just seeking psychological support. Our overall wellbeing is also influenced by our physiological state and social environments. Understanding how these factors influence one another is crucial for us to thrive.
The focus of my work is to provide holistic care and partner with clients in their journey towards achieving their goals, from living well to leaving well. With the belief that every client’s story is unique, I adopt an integrative approach in counselling where I provide clients with a healthy environment to heal and build towards a better future.
I currently work in a public hospital where I serve both employees and patients. The recent years of my experience lies in counselling and crisis intervention for staff (medical, nursing, AH&P, admin, etc.) as well as journeying with patients diagnosed with psychiatric illness. I also have prior experience working with families and other caregivers of persons with mental health issues and adults diagnosed with severe to profound intellectual disability.
Areas of focus
Anxiety & depression
Grief & loss
Self-esteem issues and more
More About Me
I once got lost on the Titiwangsa mountains alone as a 14-year-old boy! I love riding motorcycles on the open road, fingerstyle guitar, and annoying my wife with silly nonsense!
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Counselling, Monash University, Australia (Graduating in 2024)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Systemic Thinking and Approaches, Counselling and Care Centre, Singapore
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (minor in Organisational Behaviour), Murdoch University, Australia
- Diploma in Counselling, Kaplan Higher Education Academy, Singapore
- General Psychiatric Management for BPD, Harvard Medical School, USA
- Certificate of Completion for Certified Clinical Trauma Specialist (Individual), Arizona Trauma Institute, USA
- Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA), Institute of Adult Learning, Singapore
- Mental Health First Aid, National Alliance on Mental Illness, USA
- Study trip to Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan, USA
- Individual and group counselling for public hospital staff on a broad range of issues such as adjustment issues, burnout, work conflicts, grief, and complex family dynamics.
- Psychiatric case management.
- Conducted mental-health talks and workshops in a public hospital and for social service agencies.
- Provided and managed programmes for caregivers of persons with mental health issues.
- Developed and ran support groups for caregivers of persons with mental health issues.
- Special needs education for adults diagnosed with severe to profound intellectual disability.